After Graduation??

If you have anything to discuss, you're free to post it on our Actuarial Forums under this heading. Not Actuarial Jobs specific
DIVASTHAREJA

06 Jul 2018, 12:56

I have just completed my graduation(Bsc.hons Statistics) and looking for a job/Internship.I have Cleared 6 CT papers (1,3,4,5,6,7)
I wanted to ask what i should do during the time i am searching for the job.I had a word with few people and got different answers
1.Study for the remaining CT papers.
2.Enter the Analytics Domain for the time you are not able to find a job in Actuarial field.
3.Learn new Analytics Software(Phython,SAS)
Please let me know your opinion on this.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Actuarial Info mobile app

arpit

12 Jul 2018, 00:16

I'll recommend do all three... U can easily clear Ct2 while applying and learning new things... Just some time management is required Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Actuarial Info mobile app

yashalmal09

12 Jul 2018, 12:08

I too am in the same position as you, and would be appearing for CT2 in the September attempt.
Along with it, I might be pursuing Analytics course.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Actuarial Info mobile app

Parthvira

12 Jul 2018, 13:27

Learn new softwares. It'll help you to get a job. Till than also continue giving CT papers. But not more than 2 papers until getting first job

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Actuarial Info mobile app

KushaltaGupta

22 Jul 2018, 08:31

Studying for the next CTs is important because when appearing for the interview, you will be asked what paper are you planning on giving next, and the idea of skipping one diet doesn't give out a good vibe.
Analytics has great scope in the future, but the switch to actuarial won't be very easy later on. Imagine a recruiter looking at your profile with 8-9CTs cleared with 2yrs of exp in Data Analytics but no GI reserving applying for a GI role? You ll face the problem of your experience not being given due regard. Another issue that might come up with Data analytics is the lack of motivation for clearing papers. I am not saying that analytics should be complete No No. There are firms where data and actuarial functions are very close knit. So before going for that role.. make sure you're clear on the structure of the firm and how easy/difficult would the switch be.
Definitely a yes for learning new softwares. Instead of directly going for Python.. start with SQL,R and SAS. Obviously after being proficient with MS Excel.

I hope this long long text helped.

Thanks,
Kushalta

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Actuarial Info mobile app

DIVASTHAREJA

13 Aug 2018, 12:10

Thanks a lot..decided to start learning R programming being a statistics graduate i m perfectly able to correlate with my theoretical knowledge..i would suggest read some blogs over the website Analytics Vidhya..to get a proper insite for the same.

Sent from my SM-A800F using Actuarial Info mobile app

Actuarial Blogs Insurology

icon icon