City Biasedness.

A special open question - answer session with the Actuarial Recruiter Ayush Anand to direct you towards success.
akshun21

29 Apr 2018, 20:11

Hello again,
This is my second question and something I really wanna know and understand from a recruiter point of view.
Actuarial Studies is now gradually spreading over PAN India but jobs aren't, be it due to negative coaching marketing regarding salaries or someone's genuine interest in numbers. Now my concern is, there might be some guy in tier 2 or tier 3 area of the country with brilliant capabilities & skills versus some average guy living in a metro city and still I have seen recruiters being inclined towards the average guy (This happens a lot when vacancy is in Mumbai). What could be the reason for biasedness other than the 'local' candidate argument? Coz in my opinion, companies look for someone who can help them grow better. This happens a lot even when a candidate is ready to relocate at his/her own cost. I understand cost of living in Mumbai is relatively high but is it high enough to let go a brilliant mind of country into frustration of not landing into a job? There should atleast be a chance for everyone to prove themselves!

Sent from my A1601 using Actuarial Info mobile app

Last edited by akshun21 on 29 Apr 2018, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.

AyushAnand

29 Apr 2018, 22:30

Hi,

As per my experience, such cases only happens at interns/Management Trainees level.. The basic reason is stipend & the cost of living which is very high. So just to avoid that financial pressure companies avoid to hire such cases from outside.

And let's suppose if they hire someone from outside the candidate is unable to survive for more than a month for any X Y Z reason.. It's companies loss ,as they have invested their time & efforts.

Hope this can help you :)

Cheers,
Ayush Anand 

akshun21

29 Apr 2018, 23:04

I guess for this Companies should have something mentioned in the candidate's contract. But Actuarial profession is concentrated more in NCR, Mumbai and B'lore, but students are now found in PAN India.

Sent from my A1601 using Actuarial Info mobile app

ShikhaAgarwal

30 Apr 2018, 12:29

I agree with Akshun. I am from Lucknow (U.P.) and it is getting very hard for me to grab an opportunity. May be somewhere I do lack talent but most of opportunities, I couldn't make it because they limit the candidate to delhi, mumbai and such areas.
What shall we do in such cases? I am ready to work in new city at low pays in initial years as it is more important for me to get experience at the moment.

Actuarial Blogs Insurology

icon icon