Switching career to Actuary at 30

A special open question - answer session with the Actuarial Recruiter Ayush Anand to direct you towards success.
Brontok

10 Jan 2019, 11:56

Hi

I'm 30 years of age and considering switching career to actuarial science. I'm currently working in banking industry and have good knowledge of excel and SQL. I mean to learn R programming over next few months.
Now my question is that do companies have any age policy or age barriers when considering recruitment? I mean would I be considered the same as other candidates or is 30 too late to be entering the ground level in the industry

PS- My query is for Indian context

Sent from my Micromax HS2 using Actuarial Info mobile app

Jainprat

10 Jan 2019, 12:56

Hi,

I left my job at the age of 25 and started Actuarial Science. I am 27 now and still jobless. So do make sure that you dont leave your current job if you are planning to start it. Also, can't comment about all organisations but yes I have heard about one or two organisations that are reluctant to take candidates like us and would rather prefer only fresh graduates. So do make your choice wisely.

Thanks.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Actuarial Info mobile app

Brontok

10 Jan 2019, 13:02

Jainprat wrote:Hi,

I left my job at the age of 25 and started Actuarial Science. I am 27 now and still jobless. So do make sure that you dont leave your current job if you are planning to start it. Also, can't comment about all organisations but yes I have heard about one or two organisations that are reluctant to take candidates like us and would rather prefer only fresh graduates. So do make your choice wisely.

Thanks.

Hi

Thanks for your input. Have you been able to figure out that why have you not been able to land a job yet? I mean if you have 3-4 or more papers passed and have knowledge or excel/sql/R etc then I believe you should have been able to land a job in this time period.
Would request someone close to HR matters in actuarial firms to comment on the matter; that whether a candidate is considered unfavorable when he/she passes a certain age

Sent from my Micromax HS2 using Actuarial Info mobile app

Jainprat

10 Jan 2019, 13:09

I have 4 papers cleared with good knowledge of excel and basic knowledge of R. But my point is until you clear 3-4 papers it is not advisable to leave your job unless you want to sit at home.

Thanks.