Certification vs Skills

If you have anything to discuss, you're free to post it on our Actuarial Forums under this heading. Not Actuarial Jobs specific
arpit

03 Feb 2019, 00:32

Do companies demand technical certification also, or just writing technical skills is enough.

Which will help in getting a better job?
And why?

shreyanshh

05 Feb 2019, 22:53

Any company that recruits actuarial, do not ask for certifications of technical skills. But in interview they may ask a lot of questions related to the softwares which you know or may give you a sum to do in them.

But for any non-conventional areas, they may ask you for the certifications but generally it is not asked.

Sent from my S6s using Actuarial Info mobile app

arpit

05 Feb 2019, 23:19

Agree to your point, thanks for sharing. But do u think if I had certification rather simply skills, it would add more value?
shreyanshh

06 Feb 2019, 09:51

If the certification is of some recognized institution such as IVY professional school or data camp, it may make our resume look good.

But in the interview, they will for sure test us so that our real skills come into play.

So, i think the certifications may add some value to the resume but i don't think they are of any other use.

Mayank
Site Admin

10 Feb 2019, 22:41

shreyanshh wrote:If the certification is of some recognized institution such as IVY professional school or data camp, it may make our resume look good.

But in the interview, they will for sure test us so that our real skills come into play.

So, i think the certifications may add some value to the resume but i don't think they are of any other use.
Real skills matter. It's been a long way to understand that if you know you can and make them aware about that, you are in.

Yes it definitely does! Certification is still a piece of paper. How much have you learnt is real test.

Sent from my LLD-AL10 using Actuarial Info mobile app

Mayank Goyal