Swiss Re Reinsurance provides clients and brokers with reinsurance products, insurance-based capital market instruments and risk management services. Reinsurance operates globally through two segments – Property & Casualty and Life & Health. Reinsurance revenues totalled USD 29 billion in 2016.
About The Role
You will be a part of a pool of analysts and will be responsible for analysing the financial performance of the Business Unit Reinsurance (BU Re). We support our leading client managers and underwriter in managing and steering their client relationships and portfolios. Within your role, you will be initially focussing on either a specific region, resp. client segment (Americas / EMEA / Asia / Globals) or specific underwriting portfolios (P&C / L&H).
The core activities of the Financial Analyst in the Global Performance Management Hub (GPH) include:
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the performance measures and the technical aspects of risk selection of a (re)insurance company
- Analyse market, client, and underwriting portfolios' performance, explain performance drivers, and regularly work on quickly emerging ad-hoc tasks
- Use your strong analytical, data processing, and communication skills to provide opinions and value-added input
- Quickly familiarise yourself with new and changing concepts, so that the analysis provided always reflects the latest requirements of the company
- Provide and ensure the accuracy of data and graphs needed to support Division and Product Heads' presentation requirements for board meetings, external events, internal meetings and similar
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues in Finance, Business Management and Underwriting on topics related to the analysis of Renewal data, Economic Value Management and US GAAP
- Responsible for performing data quality checks for all conducted and delivered analysis
- Communicate results in a way that is easily understood by people not dealing on an every-day basis with data/reports
- Contributing to ad-hoc projects and taking on activities from other team members that still might be in development.
- Have opportunities to work with senior management
Reinsurance FP&A drives sustainable performance as Performance Architect and Commercial Advisor of the BU by creating transparency on the financial performance, driving performance strategy, enabling resource & capital allocation, supporting performance initiatives, and providing commercial advice. Within Re FP&A, the Global Performance Management Hub is an integral part and supports the global FP&A functions through data management, performance analysis and reporting, forward-looking modelling, and analytics.
The financial analyst is a key role within an agile and driven team, providing the opportunity to delve into financial performance data managing key stakeholder data requests.
- Overall 1-3 years of working experience in (re-)insurance analytics, controlling or similar function
- Successfully completed university degree, preferably in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Natural Science, Finance or equivalent
- Basic understanding of financial reporting process or familiarity of the GAAP and EVM accounting frameworks is preferable
- Strong interest in/motivation to learn about insurance/reinsurance
- Insurance products risk selection and risk reward framework understanding is preferable
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Access)
- Excellent oral and written English skills
- Actuarial education is a plus
- Finance: source of earnings, income statement and balance sheet understanding / experience is preferable
Specific Soft Skills
- Mature & self-confident; Able to work with internal clients, business partners or senior colleagues
- Approaches problems with curiosity and open-mindedness, fast learner
- Capacity to readily adapt to a changing and dynamic environment
- Team-player, willingness to contribute actively to the overall team spirit
- Ability and enthusiasm to work in a global and multicultural environment
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Aptitude to express him-/herself effectively in one-on-one conversations and small groups
Specific Technical Skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to focus on details without losing track of the bigger picture
- Strong analytical/data processing skills and methodological/conceptual understanding
- Proven expertise to work independently and proactively
- Ability to sustain high level of work output and meet very tight deadlines
Innovative, showing a high degree of own initiative